So you’ve embarked on this amazing journey, you’re all ready to live the life of your dreams, but for some reason you’re not happy! What the hell gives? I mean we go through this whole process to better our lives and were still feeling the same as we did BEFORE surgery!
Well I’m here to tell you depression and anxiety are VERY real side effects of WLS! I NEVER had depression or anxiety until a year post op. One day I woke up and COULD NOT stop crying. I thought I was going crazy! I mean i didn’t feel sad. I wasn’t angry. I wasn’t hurt. But here I was sobbing like someone had run over my puppy. I went straight to my doctor, sobbing uncontrollably the entire time. Turns out I had depression. The big bad D word that NO ONE wants to talk about.
Here some things you need to know!
- You’re not alone. Millions of people suffer varying degrees of depression daily.
- Its treatable with medication, and therapy.
- It a CHEMICAL issue! as we lose weight the estrogen that is stored in our fat cells is released and floods our system. That intern throws our brain chemicals off.
- It’s OK to feel the way you do. Some times all you can do to get through the day is breathe! That is perfectly acceptable.
- It’s OK to talk about it! we have got to stop pretending it doesn’t exist. Pretending a medical condition doesn’t exist makes it worse NEVER better.
- There is light at the end of the tunnel. You may not see it but it’s there I PROMISE.
Listen to your body. I will tell you when you’re “off”. Listen to your emotions they will tell you when you need help. Listen to your friends and family, they may come to you if they noticed your moods changing rapidly. SPEAK to your doctor if you even POSSIBLY think you maybe suffering from depression. YOU DON’T HAVE TO SUFFER! Be proactive in your mental health…… Thats the only way you’re going to find your happy in this journey.