Mason W.

So here’s my weight loss story. I love to share because I feel if I can help inspire one person to better themselves, then this has all been worth it.

My name is Mason and I feel like my story starts out like most everyone else. I like to joke that I popped out of my mom at 275lbs, but the truth is I was a normal sized baby at 7lbs 8oz…however, it didn’t take long for me to start ballooning up and I was over 80lbs going into kindergarten. I remember when I was around 15 or so and while visiting my grandparents, they had a bathroom scale (a commodity my dad never put in for at my own house) and when I stepped on it, I remember seeing that I weighed 220lbs…I knew this was not a good weight for someone my age, but I quickly brushed it off.
I struggled with my weight all throughout high school and then into my adulthood. I would start a diet, not lose much, become discouraged, and then I’d give up…it was a vicious cycle I fell into many, many times.
I continued that unhealthy routine until I hit my late 20’s when my family was hit with tragedy. My oldest sister was walking on a beach in Daytona when a drunk driver went through a barricade and hit her, killing her instantly. Later that year I realized that I had to do something to change my life and that I had to make sure I was around for a really long time because my family barely picked up the pieces after my sister’s accident, I would never want another early death in my family.
That year (in late 2014) I went to my first consultation for bariatric surgery. They wanted money that day and at the time I wasn’t financially stable enough to pay it…so I sadly left.
In February of 2015 my cousin challenged me that if I lost 75lbs he would take me on a trip to San Francisco…I was in the gym the next day. For 4 straight months I was in the gym every day and I was actually starting to lose weight. I dropped down and I was feeling so awesome. One day while I was in the gym I got a call that my dad was at the hospital and he had suffered a stroke…that was the last day I ever went back to the gym. For 2 months after that, my every day life was driving an hour plus from my home in SC to Asheville, NC…I didn’t have time for the gym and I didn’t have time for my diet. I was exhausted and found myself once again eating nothing but fast food. On July 30th 2015, my dad passed away.
A week later I got a call that my mother was sent to the hospital because she had also suffered a stroke. I couldn’t catch a break and with no one else in the area to help me, I had to get back into the same routine of going from my house in SC to visit her in NC…to fast forward a bit, my mom passed away on Nov 4th, 2015.
In a little less than a year and a half, I had lost both my parents and my sister.
I became the person that I never understood and started eating a lot. More than I ever had. I would eat 2 or 3 value meals at a time or meals meant for entire families…my weight kept going up and up and up.
A year later in Oct. 2016 I realized yet again that enough was enough and I had to do this. I had to get gastric bypass. This time in my life I was a lot more financially stable and I knew I had to do this. After months and months of working hard to get approved and get my classes completed and do everything that I needed….I was finally able to have surgery on August 3rd, 2017.
It feels so good to know that I will have a life and will be around for my family for a lot longer than I would have.
Sorry for this really long email…but this is my story.
In this photo i’m at my highest weight in April 2017 of 437lbs…and in October 2017 at 341lbs

Leave a Reply